In this episode, Natalia, Neil, and Niki debate the role of homeschooling in an abuse case in California, the recent government shutdown, and why people are eating Tide Pods on social media.
Here are some links and references mentioned during this week’s show:
- A horrific case of child abuse in California has renewed debate about homeschooling. Natalia cited political philosopher Rob Reich’s scholarly article on homeschooling.
- We debate the recent government shut down.
- What started as an internet joke about eating Tide Pods has become a real-life fad. Natalia referred to this JStor Daily article about the sexualization of the supermarket.
In our regular closing feature, What’s Making History:
- Natalia discussed the New York Times article, “Young Fitness Fogies Ditch $40 Classes for Hoops, Laps, and Jogs.”
- Neil discussed the Huffington Post article, “Even Breathing is a Risk in One of Orlando’s Poorest Neighborhoods.
- Niki discussed Catherine Kerrison’s Washington Post article “How Did We Lose a President’s Daughter?”